Monday, September 28, 2015

Blue Friday

Being a native Seattleite, I am very proud of my Seahawks. (and also willing to admit that I am a bandwagon hawks fan, please don’t judge me) Hawks fans believe in Blue Fridays, where every Friday, no matter where you are, you wear your Seahawks gear to show support for your team. I love Blue Fridays. Why?
Well for one, it makes it so it takes me about three minutes to get ready for school. I don’t have to decide what to wear, the Seahawks decided for me. And it’s great. It’s a valid excuse for not caring what I wear on Fridays.
Two, it helps you make instant friends on campus. You see another hawks shirt, you make eye contact, and it’s this instant agreement that you and that random stranger are friends. It’s pretty fun to wander around campus and see just how many people here love the hawks.

Well, a couple weeks ago it was Friday, so I was wearing my hawks shirt. I walked into the cannon center for breakfast, and the worker who slid my card (who I love dearly, she always says good morning and compliments every single person who walks in), looked at my shirt and asked me the fateful question:

“Wait, is that the team that we’re playing tomorrow?”

Is that the team that we’re playing tomorrow?
Okay. First off, this is an NFL team. NFL. Not college. You know, the team that won the Superbowl two years ago, and tragically lost last year? And second, there are posters literally all over campus talking about the upcoming game against Boise State. Boise. All over campus.

I honestly didn’t even know how to respond. I kind of stuttered for a second before saying “haha, no.” and walking away.

But that brings us to the fun reality of Utah. Unless it’s a BYU sports team, Utah does not care about sports. At all. It’s actually pretty crazy. I see hawks shirts, I see the occasional Utah Jazz shirt, and that’s it. It’s very strange. I think it’s a Mormon thing, stemming from the fact that most LDS families won’t watch or support sports on Sundays, due to the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy (that’s one of the Ten Commandments y’all, every Christian believes in that even if they don’t act on that belief). But it’s crazy. You mention Studio C and every BYU student starts quoting their sketches, but you mention the Seahawks and half the time you get a blank stare from who you’re talking to. Gotta love BYU.



No comments:

Post a Comment